Reading really does rock! I love reading, actual books over online readers, and created a few reading rocks to leave in some of the little free libraries we’ve seen on our travels.
This rock was painted green on both sides. Remember that each side must be totally dry before turning it over.
I had a little sketch to follow (upper right corner). The trick to paining rocks is patience … be sure to wait for each section to dry before moving on to the next phase.
- First white lines were painted on to represent the shelves.
- Then different coloured rectangles were added for the books.
- Once this was totally dry the books were outlined using a black marker and words were added to each book.
- At the bottom I added the I love books words.
- Once all the paint was dry a layer of glossy Mod Podge was added.
- When dry you can add your name or name of the group on the back.
- Let dry and add Mod Podge.
- When both sides are dry I sprayed with a fixative that will protect the rocks while out in the weather elements.
This fun little I love reading rock was painted all red first, both sides. I love using google eyes to make projects a bit more realistic. Glue on with E6000. Paint on the mouth and teeth. Add the words with a black marker.
When the front is totally dry, coat in glossy Mod Podge. Let dry, flip the rock and coat the other side. When dry, spray with a fixative to protect the rock for the outside elements.
I usually make a sketch before painting. The above sketch is the I love reading rock with lots of different mouth/teeth combinations. I will be making more of these over the winter.
These rocks are ready to leave at the little libraries or outside the main libraries. These are some of the little free libraries I’ve visited … in BC and Ontario. Have you ever visited a little free library?
I do add my website name so that those that find the rocks can check in and let me know if they wish. I belong to a couple of rock sharing groups and put that name on the back also.
More rock projects:
- birch trees on rocks
- Canada flag
- cottage rocks
- decoupage rocks
- mandala rocks
- pebble art daisy rock
- predict the weather
- reading rocks
- rock houses
- rock ladybugs
- snowman rocks
- sunset rock
- the gate tree
- the stone tree
- trillium rocks
- what’s your number