The cooler weather is fast approaching and that means delicious soups to warm us up. A purchase of a 10 lb bag of carrots for $1.99 meant I had to come up with lots of ways to use them.
After making carrot and sweet potato soup I decided to make some carrot and squash soup just by changing up the recipe a bit. The ingredients in this recipe are naturally gluten free.
- 500 gram butternut squash, cubed
- 300 grams of carrots, diced small
- 80 grams sweet onion
- 1 stalk of chopped celery
- 1 teaspoon dill
- 4 cups of water
- 1 cup of milk
- seasoning of your choice
- Saute onion and celery in butter till translucent
- Add water, carrots, squash, dill and stock cube if using. Instead of water you could use veggie stock.
- Cook till soft. Let cool.
- Puree in blender to the consistency you like.
- Add milk and mix well.
I don’t make my soup totally smooth as I like a bit of texture. You can blend it as much or as little as you like.
I always make a double batch so there is some for now and plenty for the freezer for later when the weather gets really cold and these fresh veggies are no longer in season. Each freezer bag holds one good sized portion, and will lay flat for freezing therefore taking up a bit less space in the freeze. It also make for easier and quicker defrosting when we want to use it.
Soup is always in season, find a delicious recipe that just might become your new favourite.
More of my gluten free recipes.