Stewed rhubarb or rhubarb compote
- 6 cups of cut up rhubarb
- 1 cup of sugar (white or brown)
- 2 tablespoons of water, for a slightly different flavour use orange juice
- Cook over medium heat till sugar dissolves in liquid
- turn to low heat and simmer for about 15 minutes until rhubarb softens
- If it is a bit too watery you can thicken with some cornstarch before you remove it from the heat.
- Cool, divided into portions and freeze
- Will keep in fridge for 4 or 5 days
This is delicious on toast as it is almost like jam, spooned over ice cream, add a spoonful as a topping for plain cake, make into turnovers, or have it in a dish with some whipped cream on the top.