Rhubarb Apple Crumble RecipeWith the print friendly option you can choose how much or how little you want to print, just mouse over the text for the option to delete. Images can be included or not.
Rhubarb Apple Crumble adapted from the Fruit crumble recipe from the Dairy Book of Home Cookery, revised edition 1977 Britain
- 250 grams of rhubarb
- 250 grams of apples
- 100 grams to 175 grams granulated sugar
- 150 grams of plain flour
- 75 grams butter, room temperature, slightly soft
- 50 to 75 grams caster sugar
- some brown sugar to sprinkle over the top before baking
- Cut rhubarb and apple into pieces and put into a 1 litre baking dish, mix in the sugar, as rhubarb will sink when cooking don’t be afraid to mound the fruit up in the baking dish
- Sift flour into another bowl, rub in butter finely. Add sugar and mix lightly
- Sprinkle crumble thickly and evenly over the fruit. Press down lightly with hand. This is when I add brown sugar to the top, but you could mix it in if you prefer.
- Put into moderately hot oven, (190C/375F) and bake 15 minutes
- Reduce temperature to 180C/350F and bake another 45 minutes or until top is lightly brown
- Serve warm with cream, custard or ice cream