It’s rhubarb season.
The rhubarb has really been growing over the past couple of weeks and it was time to do some delicious baking with it. I’m not a pie maker but do make cakes, muffins and crumble.
For this rhubarb cake you need a gluten free white cake mix, miniature marshmallows, a box of strawberry jelly powder, sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon and of course some freshly picked rhubarb.
- 4 cups chopped rhubarb
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 4 cups gluten free mini white marshmallows
- 1 box strawberry jelly powder
- gluten free white cake mix
- topping – 1/4 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 cup brown sugar
Marshmallows are usually made with wheat starch, and to be gluten free they should be made with corn starch. Be sure to read the label.
- mix cake mix according to directions
- grease 9×12 baking dish
- layer in rhubarb, sugar, marshmallows, jelly powder and then pour cake mix evenly over the top
- combine topping of cinnamon and brown sugar and sprinkle over the top of the cake mix
- bake for 40minutes at 350 degrees F.
Serve right from the baking dish to the plate as it would be very difficult to remove the cake. Don’t forget to add a scoop of ice cream.
The top is crunchy and the bottom is gooey and delicious.
What is your favourite recipe to make with rhubarb?
More of my gluten free recipes.
Trick: Here is a little trick to remember how to not get desert and dessert mixed up. Desert only has one s because you only want to be stranded in the desert once, but dessert has 2 s’s because you always want double the dessert!
Some of my favourite Canadian places to buy gluten free mixes and products.