Valentine’s Day – is it a day created by card, chocolate and flower companies to guilt trip you into buying something for someone in your life? I think it is, but that is me.
It’s a day I’ve never really celebrated, except when I was working at school and the kids loved to exchange cards. But it can be a fun day to brighten up the winter months.
While I had the scraps of felt out making some little felt birds and critters I was inspired to make a Valentine cup cozy, or cup sweater as one of my visitors called them. The quick and easy cup cozy that I shared before is for slipping over the take out cups from the coffee stores but didn’t work on my mugs at home. So it was time to tweak the pattern a bit and add 2 buttons so that it would fit around a regular mug.
Here it is around my favourite mug that is just like a flower pot. The mug cozy buttons up around the handle and helps to keep my tea a little warmer and stops my fingers getting burnt when the tea is first made.
You need some yarn, 2 buttons, hook, felt, needle, embroidery floss and scissors.
- some yarn,
- 2 buttons,
- embroidery floss and scissors.
- Using worsted weight yarn and a 3.75 mm crochet hook, chain 42
- Row 1 – The last 2 stitches count as the first dc. In the third chain from the hook make 1 dc, then make 1 dc in each stitch across the chain, 40 dc in total.
- Row 2, 3, 4, 5 – Chain 2 (first dc) and then dc across, 40 dc in total.
- Chain 5 and then slip stitch into the second opening on the side. Slip stitch down the side to the bottom, chain 5 and slip stitch into the last opening. This will make a looped button hole at the top and bottom of the side.
- Draw yarn through last stitch to close tight. Stitch on a button at each end of the side opposite the button holes.
- Cut some heart shapes out of the felt and with a running stitch fasten them onto the middle of the cup cozy.
Here is the cup cozy on a heart designed mug … perfect for Valentine Day.
These make lovely little gifts for a co-worker, friend or craft sale. One year at work we did a Secret Friend exchange during Valentine week. It brightened up an otherwise dull month of February. Names were drawn and a little gift was given each day. This would of been the perfect little gift to receive.
If you are selling them at a craft sale, why not add a few packets of tea.
It really is a no-brainer pattern and one you can figure out from just looking at the image.
I can see all sorts of seasonal cup cozies being made with all different shapes … perfect little gifts for during the year.